Wednesday, April 3, 2013

The Licence- An Inevitable Experience

Most of you would have had a varied experience on procuring a licence under the nose of government officials.One could never imagine but wonder, how getting a signature of the concerned person on the sheet ,be so difficult.

Being guided by the driving school, I was thought certain mannerisms upon meeting the official. My first advice was salute the official with 'Good Morning'. The salute should not be ordinary, rather in an attention seeking pose and the right hand kept well stiff, raised well high above the shoulders. And to give a handshake only when the official nods at you. "Fine but I am here to learn car driving but I see no car here", was I thinking when the trainer interjected , "don't worry the car is on the way, till then learn and practice these". How come he understood my thoughts was my second wonder.

The trainer brought the car and learning started. Made me to sit in the drivers seat of an ordinary "Santro", for the first time, gave me the impression of sitting into the worlds fastest car "Bhugatti Veyron" . Wow, what a feel I was on cloud nine, when the trainer mentioned, "the car is very old so please do use the clutch and breaks properly". With a silent nod things started, when I realized the usage of gear and steering were never in synch. Either I miss seeing the road while I use the gear or vice-versa. The fifteen days training sessions came to an end leaving me gasping. Is car that difficult to drive.

My trainer said "After a two days  break you have the licence test and do report by morning 9 at this place.
We will do a practice and then head for procuring licence.And remember the lesson on saluting the officer."
"Ok Officer", was my thinking. Phew, I think so I have mustered the courage to drive a car.

The day dawned, making myself get up early and rehearsing the good morning stuff in front of my dad. He really gave me a scornful look pitying his son's efforts to procure a licence. Midst all these I reached the center on time. Getting a quick practice with trainer's repeated instructions on rules to be followed I reached the Test drive place.

It was an unusually crowded place, and in the center was there a big space for both 2 wheeler and 4 wheeler  vehicles to be driven. The officer was about an hour late and the scorching heat really drained me. Atlast the officer turned up and he was followed by a big gathering. Not even Superstar of Tamil cinema would have this entry.Above all my doubt was when I should salute 'good morning'. Or should it be 'good after noon' rather.

Turns started and each one performed to the best of ability. One guy fell down unable to lift the 2 wheeler, was given a skeptical look from the officers end and the gathering present. The result was quite obvious.
When everything got over the car driving took place, and "Lo Behold!" till now I practiced on a Santro car but I found out I need to drive "Maruti800". A man 6 foot tall, wouldn't get a better punishment than this.

Praying to lords I got in and told a polite Hi to the official sitting besides me. "Start" growled he. Trying to put the first gear and releasing the car jerked off and stopped. So sudden was the jerk that the official got hit on the front glass pane. "What did you do? One more chance, If you flop I will never allow you to sit for licence", he growled beating the best of forest animals available.

Hands wet I grabbed the gear applied and in full swing was on. My legs at the clutch end shivered and came to a halt upon the signal. He gave me a skeptical look, but passed me in the test. Wow, I really got the licence thanked all the gods above present and the happiness knew no bounds. Even clearing an entrance exam wouldn't have given me such happiness.

Phew! what a day. Hope this day would be inevitable in everybody's life.


6 comments:

  1. Congrats on the License. I have a license but can't drive and before you ask, "Yes, I passed the test and got the license."

    Well, good for you.

    6 foot, eh.

    Joy always,
    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. He he he he hilarious... I giggled a lot while reading your post Hari.. really hilarious .. kudos on getting your license... and drive safe :) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The salute never came in handy :P
    hilarious write ! :D

    Loved reading it

    Keep smiling,
    Lakshmi

    ReplyDelete